In this tutorial, I show teen entrepreneurs how to create 10 advertisements in 10 minutes using the AdJelly Size Guide, a must-have social media tool, and Adobe Photoshop.
AdJelly provide advertisement size templates for all social media platforms that offer advertising as well as Google Adwords.
You do not need any prior Adobe Photoshop experience.
By the end of this tutorial you will have a fast system you can use every time you want to run an ad campaign.
What is the AdJelly Size Guide?
Go over to AdJelly and check it out. It’s the must-have tool for teenage entrepreneurs creating their own advertisements.
I’ll show you how to use AdJelly so that you end up with an awesome ad campaign design board like this:
AdJelly for Entrepreneurs
So you want to advertise on a social media platform such as Facebook and Instagram or on Google Adwords.
Instead of visiting the Help page of each platform to get the sizes and help instructions for each, the AdJelly Size Guide has the ad templates all in one place.
You can download each advertisement template as a .psd, which is an Adobe Photoshop file.
AdJelly has templates for:
3. Google Adwords
Why should I use Adobe Photoshop to Design my Adverts?
There are 2 main players to help you create your advertisements; Canva and Photoshop.
Both of them allow you to create pretty advertisements complete with colours, images, and text.
While Canva is great for users who have absolutely no design experience, it’s slow and doesn’t offer any organisation of your advertisement assets.
Photoshop offers more control for creatives, is faster, and can help you pump out multiple advertisements for multiple platforms using this system in less than 10 minutes.
The Adobe Photoshop Advertisement board that we will create will keep all your advertisements in one single .psd file like this:
Then you can export all the advertisements with one click as separate .pngs.
Super Fast Ad Creation Tutorial
This tutorial is designed for teens who have never used Photoshop before.
Section 1 – The One-Time Set-Up
Step 1 – Decide where you will Advertise
First, decide on the social media platform/s you will advertise on. I have chosen 4 platforms for the purposes of this tutorial;
3. Twitter and
You should choose the platform/s where your target audience hangs out. This might only be one platform.
Step 2 – Decide which Advertisement Types you will Use
Go to the AdJelly Size Guide and decide on the type of advertisement you will use. I have chosen;
1. Facebook Desktop News Feed
2. Instagram Feed Square
3. Adwords Desktop Portrait
4. Twitter Lead Gen Mobile
You should choose the type of advertisement after researching the platform and deciding which advertisement type might suit your product or service best.
Step 3 – Create your Adobe Photoshop Artboards
1. Go to AdJelly and download each template into your Downloads Folder
2. Open Photoshop and click File > New. Select the options shown in the screenshot. We’ll call it ‘My Advertisement Board’.
You’ll see a large Artboard called Artboard 1.
Let’s rename it Facebook Desktop News Feed and resize it to your Facebook template dimensions. The dimensions of each template is in the .psd file name that you downloaded from AdJelly.
3. To rename your Ad, double-click on the name in your Layers panel on the right-hand side of your screen.
4. To resize your Ad;
a. Select the Artboard tool (Right-click on the Move tool to see it) and click the Facebook Layer name you just renamed to select it
b. Change the width and height to that of your Facebook Ad and click Enter.
5. Now create your Instagram Template; make sure the Artboard tool is selected and click the + icon to the right of your Facebook Template.
Your screen will scroll across and a new Artboard will appear. Rename and resize it like we did for Facebook. Repeat for your other 2 advertisements. You can create your Artboards below each other if you like as per my screenshot.
Step 4 – Add your Advise Templates to your Adobe Photoshop Artboards
1. Click the Facebook layer name in Photoshop to select it
2. With your Downloads folder open beside Photoshop, drag the Facebook .psd onto the Facebook template.
3. Click Enter to place the .psd
4. Click the Instagram layer name to select it and repeat this step. Repeat for your last 2 .psds. Your Advertisement board will now look like this:
Step 5 – Save your Advertisement Board as a Template
Click File > Save.
Section 2 – Do this Whenever you Want to Create an Advertisement
Step 1 – Create a new Advertisement Board from your Template
1. Open the ‘My Advertisement Board’ template. Click Save as.
2. Name it after the design you will use. I’ll call mine ‘Empty Pub’. Click Save.
3. Photoshop will close the template for you and open your new file ‘Empty Pub’.
Step 2 – Decide on a Design
We will use the tutorial ‘How to REALLY Design a Facebook Ad‘ as the design for our adverts. Check that tutorial out then come back here.
Step 3 – Download your Unsplash Image and Resize
1. Click the Download button beneath your Unsplash image.
2. Right-click on the image and select Copy Image.
3. In Photoshop, click File > New. Photoshop will automatically create a new file at the same size as the image you have copied. Click OK on the default options.
4. The Unsplash images are huge. We’re going to make them a more manageable height and width which will also reduce their heavy file size. In the top toolbar, click Image > Image size. Change the width to 1700px.
Step 4 – Add the Unsplash Image to your Adobe Photoshop Library
Add the image to a Photoshop Library so that you can use the image again and again across multiple projects and advertisements. To do this;
1. Click Add New Library in the right hand Library panel drop down. Name it and click the Create button. I’ve called mine ‘My Advertisement Graphics’.
2. You’ll see a ‘Your Content. Anywhere’ box.
3. Click on your Unsplash image layer in the right hand panel to select it and click the Library graphics icon.
Your image will be added to your library. Close your Unsplash image. You do not need to save it.
Step 5 – Add Unsplash Image to your Advertisements
1.Click your Facebook Layer Name to select it
2. Click the graphic in your library. Hold down the Option key (Mac) or Alt key (PC) and drag your library image onto the Facebook template.
3. Click your Instagram Layer Name to select it. Repeat to add the graphic to your Instagram template.
4. Repeat for your other Ad templates.
To arrange the graphic as you like it;
a. Click the Facebook Layer Name to select it
b. Right-click on the Artboard tool and select the Move tool. Drag your graphic until you have it centered as you like.
We’ll cover how to add text to your adverts in a later tutorial. For now, we’ll leave your adverts as graphics only.
Click Save to save this .psd.
Step 6 – Export your Advertisements as .PNGs
1. To export your graphics as individual .png advertisements, click File > Export > Artboards to Files
2. Leave the default options as is and click the Run button.
Your .pngs will be generated in one go ready for you to upload to your social media or Google Adwords platform.
Super Fast Advertisement Creation
In the future, whenever you want to create a new advertisement, all you have to do is the 6 steps in Section 2.
That is, from Create a new Advertisement Board from your Template to Export your Advertisements as .PNGs.
Super-fast and super-easy advertisement creation!